Basic Brown Rice
Oven Method: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bring the water to a boil. In a 1½-quart casserole, combine the rice, boiling water, butter, and salt. Cover and bake 55 to 60 minutes, or until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Microwave Method: Ina 2-quart microwave-safe dish, combine the rice, water, butter, and salt. Cover and microwave at full power (100 percent) for 5 minutes or until the water boils. Then microwave at medium-low power (30 percent) for 45 to 50 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Rice cookers are useful if you frequently cook rice for a crowd. However, the texture of the rice is slightly different from rice cooked by other methods. Rice can also be cooked in a steamer, but the basic boiled rice method is easier and less likely to produce broken grains and sticky rice.
Cooking Methodbaking, microwaving
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Recipe Courseside dish
Dietary Considerationside dish
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturebuttery, savory
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2½ cup water or broth
- 1 teaspoon butter, rice bran oil, or olive oil
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon salt to taste
• 1. If using imported rice, rinse the rice carefully several times and remove any small stones or impurities. Do not rinse U.S.-grown rice.
• 2. Combine the brown rice, water, butter, and salt in a heavy 2-quart saucepan with a lid.
• 3. Bring the rice mixture to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and cook 45 to 50 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
1991 Bonnie Tandy Leblang and Joanne Lamb Hayes