Barbecue-Flavored Roasted Tempeh and Vegetables
If you’re looking for an undemanding tempeh dish that makes a large quantity, here’s a good choice.
Serve the meal with baked or microwaved sweet potatoes. For a lighter accompaniment, roast some cauliflower florets, tossed in a little olive oil, at the same time as the tempeh. A light soup makes a good first course to this dish.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
One Pot MealYes
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, healthy, peanut free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturesavory, smoky, sweet
- Oil for the pan
- Two 8-ounce packages tempeh, any variety
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into wide strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into wide strips
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced, rings separated
- 1 cup small whole baby bella or cremini mushrooms, optional
- 1 cup natural barbecue sauce, or as needed to coat ingredients
1 Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a roasting pan with foil and lightly oil it.
2 Cut the tempeh in half lengthwise, then crosswise into short, ½-inch-thick strips.
3 Stir all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl, then transfer to the prepared pan.
4 Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender, stirring after the first 10 minutes, then serve.
2008 Nava Atlas