A crispy brown sugar and butter topping elevates this moist and delicious cake above most ordinary recipes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted (1 stick)
- ½ cup buttermilk, yogurt or milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter (½ stick)
1. Preheat the oven to 300° F. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Blend in the melted butter, mixing together until moist. Add ¼ cup of the buttermilk and combine.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the other ¼ cup of buttermilk with the eggs and blend into the flour mixture. Add the vanilla and mashed bananas. Beat for 1 minute. Place the batter in a greased 9 × 13 × 2-inch pan.
3. To make the topping, squeeze the flour, brown sugar and butter together with your hands. Crumble the topping evenly over the batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. When the cake is done, an inserted toothpick or fork should come out clean from the center.