Baked ziti in a hearty meat sauce is a great way to feed a hungry family; use either pork or turkey sausages.
- 1 lb (450g) sweet or hot Italian sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- One 28 oz (794g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 1lb (450g) ziti
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Large, deep skillet
- One large casserole dish or 6 individual casserole dishes
1. Fill a deep skillet with water and bring it to a boil. Prick the sausages with a fork, add them to the pan, and simmer for 2 minutes, or until the casings turn pale. Drain the sausages, and let cool. Remove the casings and break up the meat.
2. Drain the skillet and return to the heat. Add the sausage and oil and cook for 5 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes, or until softened.
3. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices and the basil. Season with salt and pepper. Allow the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes, or until it has thickened, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and add the ziti. Cook until al dente, about 3 minutes before the time recommended on the package. Drain and return the pasta to the pot.
5. Mix most of the sausage and tomato sauce with the ziti. Spread in the casserole(s), then spoon the reserved sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the mozzarella.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the sauce bubbles, and the cheese is melted and golden.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.