- Course: Vegetable
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 50 Times
Large and meaty beefsteak tomatoes are perfect for filling.
- 4 large ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- ¼ cup fresh bread crumbs
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- 5 oz (150g) ricotta or goat cheese
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp finely chopped basil
1. Cut each tomato in half horizontally. Scoop out the insides with a spoon, sprinkle the halves with salt, and let drain.
2. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and anchovies and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in the bread crumbs and cook until they are well coated in oil, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
3. Mix together the three cheeses with the basil. Season with the pepper. Fill each tomato with the cheese mixture and top with the garlic crumbs.
4. Bake in an oiled baking dish about 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Serve hot or warm.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.