- Course: Dessert
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 10 Times
Think of this as a biscuit with jam baked inside'it is equally wonderful with a custard sauce or whipped cream.
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 tbsp cold butter, shredded on a box grater
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup jam, any flavor
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Sugar, for sprinkling
- Warm creme anglaise or whipped cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Mix in the butter. Stir in the milk to make a stiff dough. Roll on a lightly floured work surface into a 10 × 7in (25 × 18cm) rectangle.
3. Spread the dough with the jam. Starting from a long side, roll into a log. Lift and transfer the roll to the baking sheet, seam side down. Lightly brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the sugar.
4. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Serve with the custard sauce.
Baked Syrup Roll
Make the recipe as above, but use light corn or maple syrup instead of the jam.
Baked Marmalade Roll
Make the recipe as above, adding the grated zest of 1 orange to the dough in step 2. Use 4–6 tbsp marmalade, in place of the jam.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings, but does not include sugar for sprinkling or hot creme anglaise. For nutritional information on hot creme angalise, please follow the link above.