For those of you who aren’t familiar with them, hush puppies are crunchy little cornmeal fritters. We always have them at fish fries, and they’re a real hit with kids (and everyone else). This is a healthier version of one of our Granny Paul’s specialties. We bake them in mini muffin pans to have on hand for a snack. They travel well, too, so they’re a great lunch box option.
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly grease the cups of a 24-cup mini muffin pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the onion, milk, eggs, and butter. Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture until the flour mixture is just moistened.
4. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the batter into each of the prepared mini muffin cups. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the hush puppies are firm to the touch and golden brown around the edges.
Nutritional information is based on 10 servings.