Fresh crab meat is so rich, fabulous, and sweet that, for this dip, I wanted to highlight the texture and flavor of the crab without masking it. Served bubbly hot with a crisply browned, lemon zest-panko topping, this dip will be a party favorite—easy to put together, quick to bake, and quick to disappear, too.
- 6 oz (170g) fresh crabmeat, well drained
- ½ cup (75g) diced red bell pepper/capsicum
- ½ cup (25g) finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- ½ cup (120 ml) reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 4 oz (115g) whipped cream cheese
- 1½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- ¼ cup (20g) panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- ½ tsp grated lemon zest
- Crostini, baked pita chips, baked wanton crisps, baked potato chips
1. Place the crabmeat in a medium bowl and flake with your fingers. Stir in the bell pepper/capsicum, parsley, and chives. Using a rubber spatula, gently stir in the mayonnaise, cream cheese, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Transfer to 1-qt (1-L) shallow baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the panko and lemon zest.
2. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C/gas 7. Just before baking, sprinkle the panko mixture on top and bake until the panko is toasty brown and the dip is bubbling at the edges, about 12 minutes. Serve hot.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Serving Size: 2 tbsp