As much as I love artichokes, many times—when I’m in a rush—I don’t use the fresh vegetable but instead just reach for the cans in my pantry. Okay, ideally we would use all of this incredibly prehistoric looking “flower,” but even with canned artichokes this dish is wonderfully delicious and works well. Truth be told, I could eat these as a meal with a salad! Perfect as a side dish for grilled meat or fish, this simpler version of baked artichokes is a treat that you and your guests will enjoy.
- 2 cans artichoke hearts, drained (8½ ounces each)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (unseasoned)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Drain and rinse the artichokes. Pat them dry. Lightly beat the eggs in a small bowl. In another bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and cheese. Dip the artichokes in the egg mixture, making sure they are evenly coated. Then coat them well in the breadcrumb mixture.
Grease the bottom of a baking pan with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place the artichokes in the pan. Sprinkle any remaining breadcrumbs over the artichokes.
Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the artichokes. Bake for about 20 minutes. The artichokes should be warmed through, and the breadcrumb mixture should be toasted.
Sprinkle with parsley and lemon zest before serving.