- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 3 Times
This adobo is great served with steamed yellow wax beans sprinkled lightly with rice vinegar. I like to put steaming, freshly cooked rice right into the pan to catch the adobo sauce. If you have an abundance of apples, chop some up and add them to the cooking liquid for a wonderful flavor. This is even better the next day, so you might want to double the recipe to have some left over.
- 1 cup organic apple cider vinegar (preferably aged in wood)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 small bay leaves
- 1-2 large jalapeño chiles, to taste
- 1 side of baby back ribs (about 2 pounds), cut up into individual or 2-rib portions
- 2 teaspoons rock salt
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons tellicherry peppercorns
- Steamed rice, for serving
1. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaves, and jalapeño.
2. Arrange the ribs in a baking pan and season them with the salt. Using a mortar and pestle, gently pound the garlic cloves and peppercorns until they are combined and coarsely ground. Rub the spices into the pork. Pour the vinegar mixture over the ribs, turning the meat to coat evenly with the liquid. Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
3. When you’re ready to cook the ribs, transfer the ribs and marinade to a large, heavy saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and cook until the meat is tender and falling off the bone, about 1 hour. Transfer the ribs to a plate.
4. Increase the heat to high and cook the marinade, uncovered, until it is reduced to a medium-thick sauce, 5 to 10 minutes more. If the sauce is still thin, simmer for a few more minutes until thickened. Discard the bay leaves and jalapeño.
5. While you’re reducing the sauce, preheat the broiler. Transfer the ribs to a broiler pan lined with foil. Pour the sauce over the ribs.
6. Broil the ribs until nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
© 2006 Amelita Besa and Romeo Dorotan
Nutritional information does not include steamed rice for serving.