- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 127 Times
Red, white, and green are the colors of the Italian flag and are echoed in this Italian dish.
- 4 small plum tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 6 oz (150g) small buffalo mozzarella balls, torn in half
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp nonpareil capers, drained and rinsed
- Basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, pitted, skinned, and quartered
1. Position a rack 6 in (15cm) from the source of heat and preheat the broiler. Arrange the tomatoes, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the garlic and scallions. Drizzle 1 tbsp of the oil over the tomatoes.
2. Broil the tomatoes for 4–5 minutes, or until they just begin to soften and the garlic is golden brown.
3. Place the hot tomatoes, garlic, scallions, and all cooking juices in a bowl. Add the mozzarella, remaining 3 tbsp oil, vinegar, capers, and basil and toss gently.
4. Place 2 avocado quarters on each of 4 plates. Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the avocados and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Serve immediately.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.