- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Splurge
- Favorited: 12 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Mixed game makes a wonderfully rich-flavored dish. Use chunks of boneless and skinless turkey or pork loin as a substitute.
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in the casserole over medium-high heat. Add the game and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
2. Add the remaining oil to the pot and heat. Add the onion, carrot, parsnip, and fennel and cook for 4–5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly colored. Sprinkle in the flour and stir. Gradually stir in the stock and cider. Add the mushrooms and fennel seeds, then return the meat to the pan.
3. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and bake for about 1½ hours, or until the meat is tender.
4. Sprinkle the casserole with the reserved fennel fronds and serve hot.
Prepare ahead: The casserole can be cooked, cooled, and refrigerated for up to 2 days, and will improve in flavor during that time.
Freezing Information: Freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.