- Course: Cold Appetizer, Vegetable
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 21 Times
Delicately flavored artichokes combine well with peppery arugula.
- 3 lemons
- 4 globe artichokes
- 1 large bunch of arugula
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Add the juice and rinds of 2 lemons to a large bowl of cold water. Pull the tough, dark green leaves from each artichoke to reveal the pale green core of leaves. Cut off the cones at the indentation just above the artichoke bottom. Dig out the hairy choke with a teaspoon. With a paring knife, trim away the thick green skin and immediately place the artichoke bottom in the lemon water.
2. Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water with the juice of 1 lemon to a boil. Cook the artichoke bottoms for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and let cool.
3. Quarter the artichokes. Divide the arugula and artichokes among 4 plates. Sprinkle with cheese and pepper, and drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox