Artichoke and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Lemon Dill Sauce
When you cut into this chicken breasts the melted feta comes pouring out and mixes with the sauce. It’s a beautiful thing.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationmain course
Taste and Texturecheesy, herby, meaty, savory
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, rinsed, well drained and chopped
- ½ cup crumbled sheep’s milk feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, divided use
- 1-½ teaspoons minced fresh dill, divided use
- 1-½ teaspoons grated lemon zest, divided use
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Trim chicken and cut a pocket in the thick edge of each breast by holding knife parallel to breast and slicing to open up about 4 inches. Season the inside of the pocket with salt and pepper. Chop the artichoke hearts and combine with feta, 1 tablespoon chives, 1 teaspoon dill and 1 teaspoon lemon zest. Stuff ¼ cup of filling into each chicken pocket, pinching edges to seal.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until well browned on both sides. Remove chicken to a plate.
Add the chicken broth to the skillet along with remaining dill and lemon zest. Stir cornstarch into lemon juice and add to sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to thicken.
Return chicken to the skillet, with any accumulated juices, turning to coat in the sauce. Cover and cook for 7 to 9 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, turning over once. Serve chicken topped with sauce and sprinkled with remaining chives.
2005 Phillis M. Carey