- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 38 Times
This Spanish approach to chicken and rice is a great one-dish meal, delicious enough to serve to guests. I love this version, which has quite a bit of liquid, because I enjoy spooning the luscious sauce over the chicken as I eat and soaking it up with some rustic whole-grain bread. In addition to warm bread, a tossed green salad is all you need.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 4 oz (125 g) fresh chorizo sausage (see Notes), removed from casings
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp (2 ml) cracked black pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) long-grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup (125 ml) dry white wine
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) crumbled saffron threads, dissolved in 2 tbsp (25 ml) boiling water
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken stock (store-bought or see recipe)
- 1 can (14 oz/398 ml) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 lbs (1.5 kg) skinless bone-in chicken thighs (about 12)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup (250 ml) green peas, thawed if frozen
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sweet paprika (see Notes)
1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat for 30 seconds. Add chorizo and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate. Drain off all but 1 tbsp (15 ml) fat from pan.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and onions to pan and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add white wine and saffron mixture; bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Add stock and tomatoes with juice; bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Return sausage to pan.
3. Arrange chicken over bottom of slow cooker stoneware and cover with sausage mixture. Place a clean tea towel, folded in half (so you will have two layers), over top of stoneware, to absorb the moisture. (Accumulated moisture affects the consistency of the rice. The tea towel will absorb the moisture generated during cooking.) Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork. Stir in red pepper, peas and paprika. Cover and cook on High for 20 minutes, until pepper is tender.
Complete Steps 1 and 2, chilling sausage and vegetable mixtures separately. Cover and refrigerate overnight. When you’re ready to cook, continue with the recipe.
Works best in a large (minimum 5-quart) slow cooker.
Chorizo provides the best flavor in this dish, but if you can’t find it, Italian sausage makes an acceptable substitute.
If you prefer, substitute hot or smoked paprika for the sweet version. The smoked version will add nice flavor, particularly if you’re using Italian sausage rather than chorizo.
© 2008 Judith Finlayson
Nutritional information does not include Chicken Stock. For nutritional information on Chicken Stock, please follow the link above.