Packed full of dried fruits and seeds, these bars make a great addition to a backpack, if you’re hiking or biking.
- ¾ cup (175 mL) butter, softened
- ¾ cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¾ tsp cinnamon (4 mL)
- 1 cup (250 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
- ¾ cup (175 mL) finely chopped dried apricots
- ¾ cup (175 mL) dried cranberries
- ¼ cup (50 mL) sesame seeds
- ¼ cup (50 mL) flaxseeds
- ¼ cup (50 mL) sunflower seeds
- 13- by 9-inch (3 L) cake pan, greased
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
1. In a bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, brown sugar and egg until smooth and creamy. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir into creamed mixture, mixing well. Stir in rolled oats, apricots, cranberries, sesame seeds, flaxseeds and sunflower seeds. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
2. Bake in preheated oven until top is set and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Cut into bars.
Replace cranberries with chopped dried figs or raisins.