- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 5 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Served hot, warm, or cold, this is the simplest of desserts. Good with ice cream, cream, or evaporated milk instead of the whipped cream.
1. Reserve half an apple for garnish. Peel, core, and thinly slice the remaining apples. Place the slices in a saucepan and sprinkle with the lemon juice as they are cut.
2. Add the apple juice and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the liquid comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, about 35 minutes, or until the apples are reduced to a sauce.
3. Let cool slightly. Rub through a sieve to make a smooth purèe.
4. Divide the purèe among four glasses. Top with the cream. Thinly slice the remaining apple and garnish the compotes with the apple slices. Serve warm or chilled.
Leftovers can be served alongside pork chops, or eaten as a snack.
Prepare ahead: The compote can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Nutritional Benefits: Low fat.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox