Apple Pie with Cheddar Cheese
Serves8 to 10
Total Timeunder 4 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Taste and Texturebuttery, cheesy, fruity
Type of Dishdessert, pie
- 2 recipes Pie Dough, made with lard
- 9 cups sliced apples, such as Greening, Cortland, Winesap, or other hard cooking apples (8 to 10 apples)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons quick cooking tapioca (if apples are very juicy)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 2 tablespoons cold water, for egg wash
- Cheddar cheese, sliced
- 10-inch deep dish pie pan (about 2 inches deep)
Preheat the oven to 425°
Prepare the pie dough and line a 10-inch deep dish pie pan with half the dough.
Peel and core the apples and slice into eighths.
In a bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon. Stir in the tapioca.
Turn the filling into the pie pan and dot with butter.
Roll out the remaining dough into a circle. Moisten the edges of the pie crust with water and set the top crust in place. Seal and crimp.
Brush the crust evenly with the egg wash.
Cut vents in the top crust by inserting a paring knife ¼ inch through the dough.
Bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes.
Reduce the heat to 350° and continue baking for 45 minutes more.
Cool for 1 hour before serving.
Serve with cheddar cheese.