Apple Cider and Ginger Brine
Please read the headnote for the Juniper Brine for information regarding Diamond Crystal brand salt. I especially like to use this brine when barbecuing a turkey because the sweet apple cider flavor is a perfect match with the hickory smoke-infused bird.
The brine can be made up to 1 day in advance. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Type of Dishmarinades
- 2/3 cup (3 ounces or 85 grams) Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed (see Notes)
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries, crushed (see Notes)
- 6 quarter-size slices fresh ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups unsweetened apple cider or juice
- 2 cups hot water
- 4 cups ice water
- 1 large navel orange, cut into 8 wedges
In a large saucepan, stir together the salt, sugar, cloves, peppercorns, and allspice. Add the ginger and bay leaves along with the apple cider and hot water. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently until the salt and sugar have dissolved. Boil for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat. Add the ice water and orange pieces and stir to cool the mixture. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
Proceed with brining the turkey.
2008 Diane Morgan