A refreshing chilled soup.
Preparation Time15 min
Preparation Time - Text15 mins, plus soaking and chilling
Total Timeunder 4 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together, Formal Dinner Party
Recipe Coursecold appetizer, main course
Dietary Considerationcold appetizer, main course
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturecreamy, light, savory
Type of Dishcold soup
- 4 oz (115g) day-old rustic bread, crusts removed
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus more to garnish
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 ripe large tomatoes, skinned and seeded
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 2 slices Serrano ham or prosciutto, cut into thin strips
Break the bread into pieces and place in a bowl. Add the oil and vinegar, mix well, let stand for about 10 minutes, until softened.
Purèe the tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, onion, and garlic with ½ cup water in a food processor. Add the bread and process. Season.
Transfer to a bowl and chill at least 2 hours. Ladle into bowls and top each with hard-boiled eggs, ham, and a drizzle of olive oil.
3. Transfer to a bowl and chill at least 2 hours. Ladle into bowls and top each with hard-boiled eggs, ham, and a drizzle of olive oil.
2008 Dorling Kindersley