All-Purpose Cooked Tomato Sauce
This easy all-purpose sauce will keep for several days in the refrigerator or for up to 2 months in the freezer.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturebubbly, herby, savory
Type of Dishpasta sauce, sauces
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable or olive oil
- 2 cans (each 28 oz/796 mL) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (5½ oz/156 mL) tomato paste
- 4 cloves (minced 4) garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried basil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) pepper
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; stir in tomatoes, mashing with potato masher. Stir in tomato paste plus one tomato paste can of water.
Add garlic, sugar, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes; bring to boil. Reduce heat to very low and simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes or until thickened and fairly smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
2002 Rose Murray