Greek Chicken Casserole
This casserole requires little work to prepare, yet is attractive and full-flavored when it comes out of the oven. Serve with rice, salad, and crusty bread.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, healthy, low carb, low-fat, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Taste and Textureherby, savory
Type of Dishcasserole
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- One 14½-ounce can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about a 2-inch square piece)
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large skillet. Sauté the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat until the onion turns golden brown. Add the chicken and stir and cook until all sides turn white. Add the zucchini and cook for 2 minutes.
3) Pour the juice from the canned tomatoes into the pot. Break up the tomatoes and add them to the pot. Stir in the oregano, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
4) Top with the feta and place, uncovered, in the oven for 15 minutes. (If using a skillet, transfer to an ovenproof casserole.)
1997 Terry Blonder Golson